In recent years, because of bad news about young people getting too wrapped up in image and forgetting what really matters, some heavyweights in the hip-hop world have given up wearing expensive jewelry on-stage. The problem is that some youngsters have been willing to commit crimes so they have the money to buy expensive clothes and shoes.
But you don’t have to be rich to be in style. Hip-hop clothing and urban clothes can be both stylish and affordable. The secret is to know how to shop for the look you want.
There are a few simple don’ts:
• Don’t get in a hurry. Give yourself time to explore the options. There are plenty of them out there. Shop around online to get a feel for the choices in hip-hop clothing and urban clothing.
• Don’t jump at the first price, even if it looks low. Shop around. There are always sales going on.
• Don’t go with something you don’t like just because “everybody else” is wearing it. Urban clothes are about personal style. Embrace your difference.
Now for the dos:
• Do look at the ads before you go to the store or online. Figure out what you like and see if you can find it at a price that looks reasonable for you. Then start shopping for the best price you can find.
• Do mix and match. In other words, maybe you like one thing about one brand and two things about another brand. It could be there’s a third brand out there that has everything you like. Keep looking.
• Do be original. Be yourself. If you like to mix styles, go ahead. You might start a trend.
• Do make sure you can return the clothes if it turns out they don’t fit or just aren’t right for you. Most online and brick-and-mortar stores have good return policies, but check it out before you buy.
• Do ask if you can create a comparable look at a lower price if things get too expensive. Just because a brand costs a lot doesn’t mean its high quality. Sometimes it just means it costs a lot.
Let’s say you’re looking for a nice pair of urban jeans. You go to your local store and you find about a dozen brands. Nothing is on sale, and the prices look pretty steep. So you go online and you visit two or three sites. On one of them you find that same pair of Coogi jeans you were drooling over in the store for half the price. All you had to do was take your time and shop around. You got what you wanted for a whole lot less money.
It is true. Patience is a virtue. More than that, though, it’s cost-effective. A little of your time invested in a search for the right price is well worth it.